August 23, 2019, 7:00 PM
MINUTES OF BUDGET HEARING ANDQUARTERLY MEETING
NORTH BANNOCK COUNTY FIRE DISTRICT
Location: Clarion Inn, 1399 Bench Rd, Jasper Room, Pocatello ID
August 23, 2019 @ 7 Pm
The BUDGET HEARING was opened by Roy Allen at 7:10 PM.
ROLL CALL – Roy Allen, Bruce Savage, Steve Klauser
Roy Allen conducted a discussion of the budget for the Fiscal Year 2019-2020. He reviewed the revenues and some of the expenditures. He explained the foregone monies, which will be used for fire department development. The Fire Chief will be doing the fire inspections, which Chubbuck had been doing in the past. It was noted the professional services including salaries for the fire chief and training officer. The capital purchases include the purchase of fire trucks and the establishment of the fire station. A grant is being pursued by the fire chief and training officer.
* Motion by Bruce Savage and seconded by Steve Klauser to approve the budget for FY 2019-2020 as published. The motion passed unanimously.
* Motion by Bruce Savage and seconded by Roy Allen to close the hearing. The motion passed unanimously.
The Budget Hearing was closed
The QUARTERLY MEETING was called to order by Roy Allen at 7:20 PM.
Roy Allen expressed the condolences of the Fire District for the person who was fatally injured and concern for the person injured in the collapse of the building that was to be used for the fire station. Since it will be probably be at least 1- 2 months before the construction of the building will be able to be resumed, another site is being sought. There are several possible sites.
* Motion by Bruce Savage and seconded by Roy Allen to approve the agenda. The motion passed unanimously.
* Motion by Bruce Savage and seconded by Roy Allen to approve the minutes of the August 1, 2019 Special Meeting and the minutes of the August 7, 2019 Executive Session. The motion passed unanimously.
* Motion by Bruce Savage and seconded by Steve Klauser to hire JR Farnsworth as the inaugural fire chief. The motion passed unanimously. He begins work on August 26th. There were initially 6 candidates which were interviewed.
* Motion by Roy Allen and seconded by Bruce Savage to accept a $7,485.50 grant that was obtained on behalf of the fire department by the Bannock County Emergency Services Management for the purchase of 15 pagers. This was through a Homeland Security grant.
* Motion by Roy Allen and seconded by Steve Klauser to purchase the Spillman license/software for $13,145.90. The motion passed unanimously. This will enable Dispatch through a program called Spotted Dog to contact the volunteers through pagers, mobile phones and smartphones and the volunteers can respond directly to the incident commander. All county emergency services use the Spillman system.
* Motion by Bruce Savage and seconded by Roy Allen to authorize the purchase of 3 mobile radios at maximum price of $6,000 each. The motion passed unanimously. This will provide a radio for each of the vehicles.
* Motion by Bruce Savage and seconded by Roy Allen to pay the following bills. The motion passed unanimously.
There are other charges on the debit cards which have been issued to Roy Allen, Mark Brood and JR Farnsworth. The debit cards will be switched to credit cards eventually. Fleet cards are being investigated for possible use for the fuel purchases. A $500 donation from The Hand Institute for the purchase of medical supplies was acknowledged. A new brush truck has been purchased through Bancorp. A water tender is still needed.
It has come to the attention of the commissioners that the Fire District is not in compliance with State Law regarding the commissioners’ representation of each of the subdistricts. The Bannock County GIS Department has completed a survey of the population of the 3 subdistricts and has a produced a map proposing a change to the boundaries of the subdistrict. Currently, Roy Allen and Bruce Savage both reside in Subdistrict 1. Steve Klauser is in Subdistrict 3. There is no commissioner representing Subdistrict 2. Therefore, one of the commissioners in Subdistrict 1 will need to resign and someone in Subdistrict 2 will need to be appointed. That position will be up for reelection in 2021. Both commissioners in Subdistrict 1 & 3 are up for reelection in November 2019. Another change in boundaries may be necessary after the 2020 census.
*Motion was made by Bruce Savage and seconded by Roy Allen to approve the new subdistrict boundaries as proposed by the Bannock County GIS Department. The motion passed unanimously. The maps of the proposed changes were available to the public.
*Motion was made by Bruce Savage and seconded by Roy Allen to advertise for the position of commissioner for Subdistrict 2. The advertisements will be placed on the website and 2 advertisements in the Idaho State Journal to be run on Wednesday & Sunday. (A motion was made by Bruce Savage and seconded by Roy Allen to amend this motion to only run one ad in the ISJ on Sunday. The motion passed unanimously.) Two weeks will be allowed for a letter of interest to be sent in. The deadline for receipt of the letters will be September 12th. The commissioners will then select the commission for Subdistrict 2. The motion passed unanimously.
*Motion was made by Steve Klauser and seconded by Bruce Savage to adjourn the meeting at 9:30 PM. The motion passed unanimously
June Heilman, Secretary